20 January 2009

The Price of Convenience

I don't buy Fruit Shoots anymore. The kids love the taste. They're good value, often on promotion, and I pass them everytime I visit the supermarket. So why don't I buy? The answer is simple. One day I looked at the small amount of liquid and the large amount of plastic. I imagined the liquid swigged, gone in a moment. The plastic here for a lifetime, and beyond. The price of convenience became higher than I was now prepared to pay. Not in monetary terms, but environmental ones. I'm not a green person. I have compost and non-compost bins because the council require it. But I don't do weekly trips to the bottle bank and I'm not a member of Friends of the Earth. There's lots of talk about Food Miles and Bags For Life. It's the thin edge of the wedge. As the cost we are prepared to pay for convenience peaks, there may well be a backlash, and heavily packaged goods will be an easy target.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, but you have to bee careful with food miles. Green beans grown in kenya and flown in produce less CO2 than those grown in a gren house in east anglia. African framers also prodcuce less CO2 than anyone els so why penalise them?

    ReplyDelete